Wugong Swine base--Shaanxi
- Description: Wugong County is an important base for pig industry, and a base production base county for bacon hogs in Shaanxi province. For over 200 years, Wugong County has been taking pig industry as its focus.
Wugong County is an important base for pig industry, and a base production base county for bacon hogs in Shaanxi province. For over 200 years, Wugong County has been taking pig industry as its focus. Many supportive policies and effective measures were taken to promote pig husbandry.
1. The county financial authorities allocated 2 million Yuan as the Agricultural Development Fund to support pig husbandry. Every newly built pig farm can get 100,000 Yuan as subsidy; every newly built demonstration village for pig seed-breeding can get 45,000 Yuan subsidy and every piggery with a capability to hold more than 1000 pigs can get 20, 000 Yuan subsidy.
2. An assessment reward and punishment mechanism was carried out. The County government listed pig husbandry in the scope of term-target responsibility system assessment. Targets were set and reward and punishment measures were made. Those who did well will get rewarded while those who did badly will be punished. In this way, the cadres’ and the workers’ enthusiasm and initiative of pig husbandry was motivated.
3. What’s more, ancillary service was done adequately and systematically. No extra charges are needed as land for pig farms or piggeries are used as agricultural land. Construction plans, drawings, breeding and management techniques, and disease prevention vaccinations are offered for free. Constructions for pig farms and piggeries should be reported to the government and will be processed with priority.
4. The construction of double-crossing female pig husbandry demonstration village has been speeded up. Through great efforts, the construction project of double-crossing female pig husbandry demonstration village was successfully initiated, laying a solid groundwork for fine-breed rate and fine-breed piglet deliverability.
5. The subsidy work should be carefully implemented to prolific female pigs. Through the above measures, pig industry in Wugong County has been showing a good growth momentum. So far, there are 357 pig farms with a capacity to hold more than 50 pigs, and the pig population is 275,000 while the output population is 300,000.